The Hague has two catholic cemeteries, both of which are managed by the R.K. Cemeteries Foundation (Stichting R.K. Begraafplaatsen). In 1830 the cemetery Sint Petrus Banden on the Kerkhoflaan was constructed. And in 1920 the second cemetery, Sint Barbara was constructed on the Sint Barbaraweg.
The St Barbara Cemetery, which lies on the north-eastern side of The Hague, on the border of Voorburg and Rijkwijk, was constructed under the supervision of architect Nicolaas Molenaar. He was a pupil of the famous architect P.J.H. Cuypers. Molenaar acquired his own fame by building neo-Gothic churches in Groningen and The Hague.
The St Barbara cemetery has its own special character and history. While the St Petrus Banden Cemetery used to be known as the cemetery for the elite, this cemetery was the place where ‘the common folk’ were buried.
Address & contact
RK Cemetery St Barbara
St. Barbaraweg 6
2516 BT The Hague
Telephone: (070) 385 96 40